What does it mean to have sugar in your urine during pregnancy?

I'm 24 years old and pregnant, and the doctor found sugar in my urine. Should I be concerned? Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Sugar in the urine is not a normal finding, and can be suggestive of gestational diabetes. I recommend you speak to your primary care doctor or OB GYN immediately! Gestational diabetes can lead to many consequences, which you should be aware of so that you can take the necessary steps to keep both you and your baby healthy. Sugar in the urine will usually come when the normal urinary filtering functions (that help to keep the blood clean and the body's wastes disposed of) are overwhelmed and the sugar starts to spill into the urine. When this happens, the sugar will draw the water out of the blood and the total volume of urine will increase. That is why people with early diabetes will often feel dry, thirsty, and that they have to urinate quite frequently. The extra sugar that can be in your blood (and likely is if some of it is spilling into your urine) can cause your baby to grow faster than it should. Mothers who have gestational diabetes will often have larger than normal babies. Additionally, the strain of the extra sugar can be hard on the pancreas of a little newborn as well. While there are many other potential problems, they can all be treated with appropriate prenatal care and nutrition. Please book an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can!