ZocdocAnswersWhat can cause weak orgasms?

Question

What can cause weak orgasms?

I'm a 37 year old woman and my orgasms have really weakened lately. I'm still with the same partner, so I don't know what I should be doing? Could this be a health issue?

Answer

The sexual response is a very complex physical phenomenon, and it can be affected by many different things. In someone your age, the likelihood that your decreased satisfaction with orgasm is related to a medical problem is fairly low. However, you should see your primary care doctor for a physical examination, because there are several different medical conditions, such as low levels of the sex hormones, that could affect sexual interest and performance. Your doctor will be able to help you decide whether these are likely in your case and if something needs to be done. On the other hand, if your physical examination is normal, then you will have to consider other causes. By far, decreased sexual performance is much more often related to either lifestyle factors, such as stress or fatigue, or emotional or psychological issues. It may also be affected by certain substances, especially alcohol which definitely can impair sexual function. Your doctor will be able to help you review all of these possible factors and figure out what areas are likely to be contributing in your case. If necessary, they can also refer you to a therapist or counselor for additional help. Book an appointment today!