Can I eat yoghurt during my pregnancy?

I'm pregnant with my first child and was wondering whether I can still eat my favorite snack - yoghurt ! My mom says it's off-limits but sometimes she falls prey to old wives tales...
The topic of what foods to eat during pregnancy is a great one, and you are definitely right that there are a lot of old wives' tales around this issue. For this reason, it is always best to run everything by your regular OB GYN doctor whenever you have a question. They are definitely used to fielding these questions, and they will be able to take the time to answer whatever questions you might have. Generally speaking, there are no specific foods that are particularly dangerous during pregnancy, with the exception of foods that contain stimulants like caffeine and alcohol. It goes without saying, however, that any food that you might have an allergy or strong reaction to should be avoided. Additionally, there may be certain types of food that might be more indicated during pregnancy than at other times. For example, pregnant women often suffer from anemia, and eating foods high in iron might be important to stave this off. Your OB GYN doctor will know best what any specific nutritional needs you might have during your particular pregnancy. Also, may OB GYN practices will have a nutritionist on staff who can give you additional advice. Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Nearby OB-GYNs