ZocdocAnswersWill a bipartite placenta necessitate an hysterectomy?

Question

Will a bipartite placenta necessitate an hysterectomy?

My girlfriend is in great health but she has a bipartite placenta. I don't know what this is or what caused it, but I've heard a hysterectomy might be necessary? Is this true? Can we avoid it possibly?

Answer

A bipartite placenta is a relatively rare phenomenon that can occur during pregnancy and can be noted on pre-natal ultrasound. When it is present, there are several complications that can arise before labor, at labor, and even after delivery of the baby. For this reason, it is important that your friend work closely with her doctor and consider seeing a high-risk obstetrician for further help in the pregnancy. While it is uncommon, it is certainly something that can be managed with the proper help. The reason that there may be a risk of a hysterectomy needing to happen is if the entire placenta (the interface between the mother and the baby that supplies nutrition to the growing child) is not delivered after the baby itself is delivered. When this happens, there can be either severe bleeding or the retained placenta can become infected and turn into a serious medical condition. Either one of these can be managed, but if early steps at intervention are unsuccessful, the ultimate treatment may need to be removal of the entire uterus, or a hysterectomy. Please speak with your friend and encourage her to work closely with her obstetrician to ensure a healthy pregnancy and delivery.