ZocdocAnswersIs there treatment available for pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS)?

Question

Is there treatment available for pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS)?

Everytime my period comes I fly into a rage and want to snap at the tiniest thing. Seriously PMS makes me want to kill my husband. Is there something I can do, for both of us?

Answer

I strongly recommend that you discuss this issue with your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor. Premenstrual syndrome, and its more severe form premenstrual dysphoric disorder, are very common. Fortunately, there are effective treatments, and you shouldn't have to deal with this all on your own! Your doctor will be able to help. For many women with premenstrual syndrome, simple life style changes will be all that are needed to control the mood swings and other symptoms. For example, some women find that watching to make sure they get sufficient sleep can be helpful. For others, regular exercise can be very beneficial. For others, avoiding caffeine or alcohol can make a big difference. When simple life style modifications fail to treat the problem, there are also medication therapies. For example, medications that are used to treat depressions - especially the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor class of medications - can be very helpful. For some women, just taking these medications for a short duration during their cycle will do the trick, whereas for others taking them on a daily basis for a prolong period (especially in those with previously undiagnosed depression or mood problems) may be necessary. Please make an appointment to discuss this issue with your doctor.