What is a bicornuate uterus?

I'm trying to get pregnant and my doctor told me I have a bicornate uterus. I'm wondering what this is exactly and does it affect my fertility?
Bicornuate uterus is an uncommon splitting of the upper parts of the uterus which then fuse lower down so that the lower parts of the cervix and external genitalia are one. This occurs due to some failure of fusion of the parts that ultimately create the uterus during gestation. In and of itself, it will not usually affect your life significantly. It can, however, make pregnancy more difficult. People with a bicornuate uterus who wish to become pregnant should speak with a high risk obstetrician before doing so to see what they can do to decrease risks to themselves and their baby. Some women will also have difficulty becoming pregnant, and those who do become pregnant may have more difficulty carrying the baby to full term. If you are not at a point where you are considering becoming pregnant, speaking directly with your doctor who diagnosed you should also be able to provide some further details that can benefit you and help you to realize that you are not alone and are not somehow defective. If you are not getting the answers that you need from your primary care doctor, please consider speaking to a specialist who can help you more fully.