What can cause painful testicles?

I have a painful testicle. What might be the cause, and is this dangerous? I'm 54.
One emergent cause of pain in the testicles is something called testicular torsion. This is a condition in which one of the testicles becomes "twisted" on itself, cutting off blood flow. This is an emergency because it can lead to rapid and permanent damage to the testicle. The symptoms typically include severe, sudden onset of pain in one testicle. If you are experiencing these symptoms, then you need to go immediately to the emergency room for evaluation. On the other hand, if the pain is less acute and severe, then you can go see your primary care doctor for an evaluation as soon as possible. The common causes of testicular pain include infection or inflammation of the tubules surrounding the testicle, called epididymitis. Also, a hernia can cause an aching pain in the scrotum than can often feel like pain in the testicle. Finally, it is important to rule out the possibility of a tumor in the testicle, which can usually be done with either physical examination alone or physical examination as well as ultrasound. Start by booking an appointment at your earliest convenience. I hope this problem is solved for you quickly.

Other Urologists