ZocdocAnswers"If people have opposite sex features, such as a masculine physique, what treatment is available?"

Question

"If people have opposite sex features, such as a masculine physique, what treatment is available?"

I am a 30 year old woman and I suffer from a masculine physique. Is there something I can do to look more feminine? It's really disrupted my social life.

Answer

This can be a difficult problem to deal with, and I am sorry that you have had to suffer through this disruption of your social life. Fortunately, there are many things that can be done to help, but the problem is that you may need to speak with specific doctors to find one who is interested and able to help. With regards to masculine features of the face, there are steps that can be taken to soften the face and make it more feminine. Starting conservatively with makeup and simple things, more advanced options can include injections and fillers to provide a more feminine cosmetic appearance. The ultimate in aggressive therapies can include craniofacial surgeries that are designed to alter the nose, profile, and forehead and can ultimately be very successful. There are even surgeries and procedures to help make the voice more feminine, if that is needed. Other parts of the body can be addressed in similar manners, with the caveat that all of these are unlikely to be covered by insurance and may be associated with some expense. A facial plastic surgeon or other plastic surgeon is often a good place to start, and speaking with your primary care doctor may provide additional insight.