ZocdocAnswersWhat are the risks of salmonella during pregnancy?

Question

What are the risks of salmonella during pregnancy?

My wife is pregnant, and she might have been exposed to salmonella. What are the risks, and will my wife and the baby be OK?

Answer

If your wife is pregnant and there is a concern of exposure to salmonella, then the first step would be to go see your regular OB GYN doctor who is overseeing the pregnancy. They will be able to check everything out and make sure that there are no signs of a problem. Salmonella is a type of bacteria which is commonly transmitted in certain food types, such as undercooked poultry or eggs. It is often also carried by certain pets, especially reptiles like turtles. The infection can cause diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. It also, in rare cases, can be passed through the placenta to the baby and cause a serious infection. Also, if the salmonella is active during the birthing process, it may be passed to the baby from the mother as it exits the birth canal. Your wife's OB GYN doctor will be able to determine if there are any active signs of an infection or if there is any need to check the baby for any complications. They'll also be able to give you advice on how to avoid potential exposures to more salmonella during the remainder of the pregnancy. Please make an appointment today.