ZocdocAnswersWhat can cause stomach pains after passing a stool?

Question

What can cause stomach pains after passing a stool?

Lately I have been having really sharp stomach pains after passing a stool. I am a 38 year old man and I'm not sure what I might be doing wrong. Is it my diet maybe? Was hoping you could help.

Answer

This would be an issue that is important to address with a doctor. I would suggest starting with your primary care doctor, or a gastroenterologist if you already have one. There are several potential causes of your pain. For example, sometimes constipation alone can produce this sort of pain with defecation, due to insufficient emptying of the colon or excessive straining to pass hard stool. Cramping with defecation can also be a sign of a serious condition called inflammatory bowel disease (with two different types, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis). In addition to cramping, other symptoms could include frequent loose bowel movements or blood in your bowel movements. Irritation around the anus can also lead to pain with defecation. Typically, this irritation could be from hemorrhoids or from an anal fissure, and would tend to cause pain that was more localized to the rectal area than general abdominal pain. Your doctor will be able to perform a general examination and help determine if this is something that you need to be worried about. If necessary, they can order additional tests (such as basic blood work or tests on a stool sample) to help figure out exactly what the diagnosis is. Book an appointment today.