Is a low protein cardiac diet recommended for a person on coumadin?

My sister is 20 and she's on coumadin. I heard she should be on a low protein cardiac diet. What exactly is this, and how does it help? I want to make sure she follows this advice if necessary!
I recommend your sister speak with her doctor about these diet concerns. A cardiac diet is a type of diet that is prescribed to patients who either have heart disease or have a high risk of developing heart disease. The diet is meant to help control the buildup of cholesterol blockages in the arteries and to moderate the blood pressure. As such, the two main components that are regulated in the cardiac diet are salt content and fat and cholesterol content. The cardiac diet doesn't specifically restrict protein, although of course high-fat proteins would be limited. This cardiac diet issue is separate from the coumadin diet. Coumadin is a blood thinner that works by inhibiting the action of vitamin K in the body. Therefore, if a person ingests large amounts of vitamin K, this will make the coumadin less effective. Persons who are taking coumadin, therefore, have to watch their intake of foods high in vitamin K. There are many of these foods, but some of the most common include liver as well as numerous "leafy green vegetables" like lettuce, spinach, broccoli, and cabbage. Your sister should talk with her cardiologist, primary care doctor, or nutritionist if she has any specific questions about how to make sure that she is following her diet as prescribed.

Other Cardiologists