ZocdocAnswersIs there a relationship between outbursts and ADHD?

Question

Is there a relationship between outbursts and ADHD?

My son is 12 years old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. Lately he has also been having these outbursts and my husband and I are worreid... any chance they're related? he's been struggling in school too so we are looking for relief.

Answer

I'm sorry to hear that you family is dealing with this problem! The good news is that ADHD is a very common problem in childhood, and there are many resources available to help you out! Children with ADHD do often have trouble with impulse control. This can lead to behaviors like outbursts, so it is likely that these behaviors are part of your son's ADHD symptoms. However, children with ADHD are also more likely to have other conditions that can cause certain types of outbursts, such as Tourette's syndrome. Therefore, I think the best first step is to work with your child's pediatrician and psychiatrist to define whether these outbursts are related to his ADHD or not. His doctors may recommend beginning treatment for ADHD with medications and seeing if the outbursts improve. If so, then there is no particular need to worry about another diagnosis and, if not, additional treatments could be pursued. It would also be a good idea to meet with your son's teachers to see if he needs any specific accommodations in the classroom and school in order to maximize his opportunities for success there. Good luck working through this complex issue!