Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What can someone do to get over the death of a parent?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat can someone do to get over the death of a parent?


My dad died a few years ago. I just can't get over his death, I am sad all the time, everyday. What can I do to move on?


Many condolences on the loss of your father. Losing a loved one is one of life's most difficult experiences and can be very difficult to get over. It is perfectly normal to feel sad in the face of such an event, but you are right to notice that you may benefit from professional help if this overwhelming sadness persists for several years. The best thing for you to do would be to see your primary care physician for an overall health evaluation and referral to a mental health provider. Although it sounds like you may be suffering from depression brought on by the death of your dad, it is important to make sure that there are no other red flags for medical illness (since, for example, hypothyroid disease can sometimes also affect your mood in a way that might make a depression worse). Your doctor can help recommend a good psychiatrist. Overall, you may be a patient who will benefit from both therapy sessions as well as possible an anti-depressant medication. Studies have shown that either therapy or medications can help with depression but the two together often work the best. There may also be grief support sessions you can attend to help you learn coping strategies for managing and working through your grief with others who share the same challenges. Hopefully you can move through this difficult time--you will always miss your Dad, but you don't want your grief to incapacitate you.Start by booking an appointment with you doctor today.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.