ZocdocAnswersCan you help me start eating again?

Question

Can you help me start eating again?

I am a 33 year old female recovering from anorexia and I want to start eating again but it is just so hard. Are there treatments out there that can help me get over this hurdle? I will try anything!

Answer

Anorexia is a very difficult condition to treat, and success requires the help of experts. I would suggest that you start by talking with your psychiatrist, if you already have one. If not, talk to your primary care doctor, and begin looking for one. It would be best to work with a psychiatrist who has a lot of experience with eating disorders like anorexia. This is because a multidisciplinary team approach, complete with counseling, psychiatry, nutrition, and social work will be your best chance for success beating this condition. A psychiatry practice that specializes in eating disorders is most likely to be able to offer you all of these necessary services. If you don't have any idea where to start, another useful resource would be the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. This is a nonprofit organization that maintains a list of high quality treatment programs. You can visit their website at http://www.anad.org for more information and to look for services in your city or state. The bottom line is to get help as quickly as possible, because it is much harder to do this on your own than with a team of professionals supporting you. Book an appointment with your primary care doctor or psychiatrist today.