ZocdocAnswersHow can I gain weight quickly and safely?

Question

How can I gain weight quickly and safely?

I need to gain weight quickly for my job I'm wondering what the safest way to do this is, and if there is a safe way?

Answer

That is an interesting situation to be in, as most Americans have the need to lose weight, either for their job or for their overall health. As you move into this new career, please make sure that any weight you gain or other health changes that you make are beneficial, and that they do not haunt you for the rest of your life. To ensure you’re proceeding in a safe and healthy manner, you should always discuss major lifestyle changes with your primary care doctor. That being said, the best weight to gain, and possibly the quickest, is the weight that you can gain with muscle. Some balance of weight lifting or other strength training will provide a scaffold that the extra protein can add on to. With that scaffolding will also come some water, which will quickly add the weight. This is by far healthier than simply stopping at your local fast food restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In order to add extra bulk, you will need extra calories, and many will suggest that protein is a good source of healthy calories. Again, before beginning any of these changes, you should speak with your primary care doctor, who may recommend a dietician or nutritionist. He or she would then be able to help you as needed. Good luck, and good work for seeking to be healthy as you do this.