ZocdocAnswersCan invisalign correct overbite?

Question

Can invisalign correct overbite?

I'm an adult needing to get braces to correct some bite issues. I was wondering if I can get invisalign instead of the traditional metal ones. I have an overbite and wasn't sure if that would change things.

Answer

The best way to determine if your particular dental problems can be corrected orthodontically with the invisalign braces is to make a consultation visit with an orthodontist. He or she will need to do a thorough dental exam to determine exactly which teeth need to be repositioned and whether or not there is sufficient room in your mouth to do so without causing crowding issues. The decision about which type of correction to use will also depend on your specific exam. In many cases, invisalign technology can be used to correct a typical overbite. Hopefully, this will be the case for you! However, it is also possible that your orthodontist may also feel the need to use a combination of metal braces and invisalign, depending upon the degree of correction required. The only way to find this out is to go in for an exam. In addition, it may be worth it for you to consult with more than one orthodontist. It is possible that some practitioners may have different approaches they would take to correct your bite, and before you commit to the time and expense of any kind of correction, it is important for you to feel comfortable with your orthodontist and his or her approach.