How do I know if my concussion is healing properly?

I got hit really hard at hockey practice last Thursday. I still have a few symptoms of a concussion, which were slight headache, trouble focusing on tasks, and a weird feeling that's probably best described as dazed, and they don't seem to be getting better. Should I be worried?
If you have not seen your primary care doctor or your sports medicine doctor about this issue yet, you definitely should do so. As you probably know, a concussion is a form of mild brain injury typically caused by blows to the head. The symptoms can be quite variable, but they often include the types of things you are experiencing, such as headache, trouble focusing on tasks, and feeling "dazed." It can take concussion symptoms a while, sometimes several weeks or more, to resolve completely. This is why it is important to work with your doctor on this, because they will help more accurately gauge how quickly you are healing. Sometimes, concussion symptoms can persist for an even longer period of time and, in that case, it may be necessary to treat some of the symptoms with medications. At the same time, it is vital that you not return to contact sports until your doctor says it is ok for you to do so, which typically will not be until your symptoms are totally resolved. This is because the risk of a "second concussion" while suffering from a first concussion are not trivial and can cause very severe neurological symptoms. Talk with your doctor immediately.

Other Sports Medicine Specialists