ZocdocAnswersWhat would an ovarian cyst be pressing on to cause back pain and upset stomach?

Question

What would an ovarian cyst be pressing on to cause back pain and upset stomach?

32 y/o female, 2 children. Lumbar fusion (L4-5, L5-S1) in June; two previous surgeries for ovarian cysts/endo in 2002 and 2004. Started Mirena in May, took Seasonique for 4 years prior to IUD. Two months ago, started having lower abdominal/pelvic pain, sore breasts (not normal for me), low back pain on the right, pain during and after sex, difficulty emptying bladder, and bloating. I went to see my GYN 3 weeks ago, had an ultrasound which found a 5 x 5cm follicular cyst on the right ovary. Doctor suggested "watchful waiting" and to come back in 5 weeks for another ultrasound. Since that time, back pain is worse and radiates down back of leg, and stomach really upset the past few days, with cramping, bloating and diarrhea.

Answer

I'd recommend discussing this with your OB GYN immediately and letting them know that your symptoms have not improved and, in fact, or getting worse. I suspect that, with this information in hand, they will probably want to proceed with the ultrasound and visit sooner, to see if the cyst on your ovary is getting worse or if you have developed any new findings. The initial approach of "watchful waiting" was definitely appropriate, as many ovarian cysts are transient, but it is worth taking another look now that you are continuing to have persistent, severe symptoms. At the same time, many of your symptoms are not totally consistent with those that would be caused by a large ovarian cyst. In particular, this doesn't explain the pain in your back with radiation down your leg. Given the rest of your medical history, which includes spinal fusion surgery, I wonder if your symptoms might be a complication of your surgery or even the reemergence of nerve pinching symptoms. I'd recommend, therefore, also talking with your back doctor or primary care doctor about this issue to see what workup might be needed to see how things are healing in your back.