Book now. It's free!

What is this small lump/bump on my pelvic/vaginal area?

I have a small lump/bump in the area between my pelvic and vaginal area. It is hard, about the size of a mosquito bite, and light brownish/greyish in color. I have had it for a while, but at first I thought it was a mosquito bite, it was just in an akward place. It has been there for at least a month. But for the last five days, I have felt unusual symptoms. I have had loss of appetite (i just feel full, and nauseous sometimes), occasional headaches, weakness, body ache, fevers and/or clamminess, chills, weight loss (at least 3-4 pounds in the five days, which i guess has something to do with me not eating), fatigue, occasional sore throat, and breathing problems (weird 4-7 second pauses at night and during the day, frequent sighing), and some difficulty swallowing. What should I do? I don't know what to say, especially since I have no idea what it could be, or what it could mean. Could it be cancer, or a cyst, or worry? Please help.
Overall, whenever you notice new skin lesions or have any of the systemic symptoms that you describe, the best thing to do is consult with your primary care physician for a more thorough history and physical examination. In your case, it will be important to tell if the bump you have noticed is related to your other symptoms, or whether you may simply have a benign skin lesion such as an inclusion cyst. Your physician will undoubtedly want to know more about your health history (your age and other medical conditions will be particularly relevant here, when evaluating changes in your GYN exam) and put that together with your physical exam. Your physician will want to do a pelvic exam and evaluate the bump that you describe, but since you also have many other symptoms, it will be equally important to do a good general exam and evaluate your skin and abdomen, have a neurological exam, and they'll want to listen to your heart and lungs. Hopefully you don't have cancer, but it is important to take any changes in your health seriously. And, if you haven't been seeing a physician regularly, he or she can also take this opportunity to make sure you are caught up on recommended routine cancer screening tests based on your age (Pap smear, mammography, colonoscopy etc). I recommend that you book an appointment today.

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N