Is it safe to fly to Europe after a rubber band ligation?

8 days ago I had a rubberband litigaton on a first grade hemorrhoid. I had pain on the first day and small amount of blood on day 2 and 6. I planned to fly to Europe tomorrow and now read in this forum that there can be life-threatening bleeding 10-14 days after the treatment. I called my doc and he said that there is no risk and I can fly to Europe, however I am worried now that it will start bleeding just over the Atlantic with no possible emergency treatment. Can anybody estimate how real the risk is ? Is my doc right, is there really no risk ? Should I take my trip ? Can I avoid the risk by not going to the toilet during the flight ? What is your advise ?
It is very prescient of you to consider the risks associated with traveling, especially far from home, after any kind of medical procedure. Overall it sounds like your procedure went very smoothly and you are making a good recovery. Any concerns about a potential procedure or side effects afterwards are always best answered by the physician in charge of the procedure or surgery, and you have done exactly the right thing in talking with your physician about this. If he feels comfortable with you traveling, then you should feel at ease about taking your trip. You are correct that there can be side effects further out from the procedure you had, but these are generally in patients who may have had additional comorbidities that it doesn't seem that you do, from your physician's response. The bottom line is that you have to be comfortable with the decisions that you make about your health, so if you are still concerned about your physician's advice, it is reasonable to make an appointment with him or even seek a second opinion if you are that worried about it. However, it is also true that even the most brilliant and caring physician cannot predict the future with 100% accuracy, so if you are going to be worried about your health the entire time, then it may be in your best interest to forego this particular trip.

Other Gastroenterologists