Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Are there any ways to grow taller after puberty?"

ZocdocAnswersAre there any ways to grow taller after puberty?


The reason that I'm asking this question is because I'm a short male who stands at 5 foot 5 inches. I know about the injections one can get (which are very expensive) and the breaking of the leg bone procedure to grow one inch, but i was just wondering if there is any other way to grow besides the two i've just mentioned. Another thing that i came across is a website called Grow Taller 4 Idiots, which claims that one can grow 2-6 inches with some stretching exercises, a cocktail consisting of tomatoes (for the gamma-aminobutryic acid), beans (for the L-Dopa), and cabbage (for the L-Glutamine), and a balanced diet of grains, vegetables, meat, and dairy products. supposedly the growth can be achieved in 8 weeks and it's permanent. The growth program focuses on the intervertebral discs, and it claims that one can expand them by doing everything mentioned above, thus making you taller.


It sounds like your height is a source of great concern for you. In this case, the best way to find out more about your options when it comes to trying to increase your height is to make an appointment with your primary care physician who can direct you to the appropriate specialists to discuss further, likely an endocrinologist. Unfortunately, there are not that many safe or effective ways to change one's height after puberty. Injections of things like human growth hormone do not work after the growth plates in the bones have closed, and in fact excess levels of this hormone can cause significant medical problems in adult patients when overproduced by certain tumors. You are correct that some patients have undergone extensive orthopedic procedures to try and gain additional height, but this is not common and can lead to many health complications down the road. Unfortunately, there is no medical evidence to support any of the claims made on the website that you reference. Inter-vertebral discs cannot be expanded with vitamins or supplements (and in fact, age will inevitably and irreversibly make them become more condensed). Eating a good diet is always recommended, but stretching and vitamins will not make you grow taller. In this case, it seems that the best thing for you to do is to consult with your physician to discuss your dissatisfaction with your physical appearance.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.