ZocdocAnswersI only have a little facial hair - why?

Question

I only have a little facial hair - why?

Who can help with this problem? An endocrinologist or a dermatologist? I'm 23 years old. MALE. No family history in this problem.

Answer

The amount of facial hair that males have is controlled by many factors, including genetic factors. In most cases, having little facial hair is not a sign of a medical problem but, rather, represents your genetic disposition towards having minimal hair. In some men, minimal facial hair can be a sign of low levels of testosterone. However, if you have otherwise had normal male development (normal pubic hair, normal genitals, normal sexual function), then it is not the case that your minimal facial hair is due to low male hormones. If you do have some of these other signs of low male hormone levels, then that is definitely a problem that would need to be investigated, and the best person to help you would be an endocrinologist. However, if you otherwise have normal male characteristics, then this low level of facial hair is not really a medical problem and, unfortunately, there is not a whole lot that can be done about it. There are not really any effective medications or other treatments that can be used to spur hair growth when the issue at hand is a genetic predisposition towards not having hair (this is different that baldness, for example). Talk to your doctor if you have more questions about this issue.