Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

I bent my finger backwards - what should I do?

I bent my ring finger backwards and it really hurts and the knuckle is not that visible. My other ring finger knuckle is much more visible. I can bend it but it hurts!
This sounds like a painful injury, and I am sorry to hear about it. The first questions that doctors think of is to make sure that we address anything that may cause problems in the long term. If your finger is numb (more than the normal short term numbness that can occur with any injury), does not move normally, has poor color, feels cold, or is otherwise concerning, you should proceed to the emergency room to make sure you get the care that you need. Some injuries, especially to extremities and digits, need to be treated sooner rather than later. If instead this happened some time ago and you are wondering why your finger hasn't returned to normal, it makes more sense to make an appointment with your primary care doctor or a hand specialist. It is possible that you have injured either the muscular attachments or the semi-soft tissues that connect the bones and cartilages of the finger. If you are able to bend and move it normally, the worst injuries are less likely to have occurred. Your doctor may want to get an x-ray, and may recommend other therapies depending on what he sees and notes on examination. Please speak to your doctor!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)