Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"DO I have a yeast infection?"

ZocdocAnswersDO I have a yeast infection?


I am a 20 yr old female. For about a month now I have been experiencing extreme low back pain. I am not sure if its due to bad posture etc or if my ovarian cysts could cause this. I noticed the pain seemed worse before my period.. Also, my vagina has been itchy and irritated. About 3 days ago I noticed a white discharge that was thick. Not really cottage-cheese like. I went out and bought Monistat thinking it was a yeast infection. I am on day 2 of Monistat 3. Now I am experiencing mild bleeding as if I have my period. Usually I get my period around the 15th. Should I stop the Monistat? What could happen if I don't have a yeast infection and misdiagnosed? Also, I don't believe this is anything sexually transmitted. It has been well over a year since I have been sexually active..Sounds like BV could be a possibility? Is there anyway the backpain is related to this or the cysts?


I am sorry that you are suffering from your current symptoms. Whatever may be the cause, they certainly sound uncomfortable. May things can cause low back pain, but some of them can be serious. If you have not had this pain before, or it is worse than it has been in the past when you talked to your doctor, you should see a physician. You should also speak to a doctor with regards to your vaginal bleeding at a time other than when you traditionally have your period. Finally, vaginal discharge could be something that needs to be seen and treated by a doctor as well. To address your specific questions, your symptoms of a thick white discharge is really very consistent with a fungal infection. Treating this with an over the counter therapy, as you did, is appropriate if you have been diagnosed with a yeast infection before and are comfortable that this is what you have, but may not be appropriate if you have questions about your diagnosis or have never had a yeast infection before. Bacterial vaginosis is also a possibility, but there may be slightly different symptoms or a preceding history. You should speak with your doctor, as there are other possibilities, such as a sexually transmitted disease, that may tie together some of your symptoms. I recommend booking an appointment with your doctor today.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.