ZocdocAnswersCan I hurt my reproductive system and render my myself infertile if I've pushed my pelvic area?

Question

Can I hurt my reproductive system and render my myself infertile if I've pushed my pelvic area?

When I'm late (1-3 days) I push on my lower stomach (pelvic area) hard and a lot of times to make my period come. Idk if that actually works, but twice my period did come the next day after; I'm not sure if the pushing caused this or if it was my natural period that came late. I spoke to a friend and she said I can really hurt my reproductive system and make myself infertile by doing that. I was in total shock when she told me. It's something I've been losing sleep over, because I do want to have children in the future. I'm so worried...is it possible to hurt my reproductive system or become infertile by doing what I was doing?

Answer

While there is obviously the risk of hurting yourself or anyone with too much aggressive pushing, poking, or prodding, you are probably loosing sleep for nothing. The body is remarkably well built, with the ability to protect its ability to reproduce quite well. Unless you are doing significant trauma to the area, firm pushing is not likely to have caused irreparable damage to your reproductive system. I am sorry that you have had such a miserable time just worrying about this! As for whether or not your trick of pushing hard on your stomach works, I would say that it is most likely that your period was due and would have come shortly regardless of whether you pushed or not. While there may be a theoretic reason for why you think this may work, your body, again, is well designed and will eventually complete the menstrual cycle. If you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, however, you should please be more careful. It is important that you talk to your doctor, however, if you are sexually active, trying to become pregnant, or are concerned about your ability to become pregnant. Your OB/GYN or PCP would also be able to give you the best answer if they were able to see you pushing and were able to talk to you in more detail. Please book an appointment with your doctor.