Why do I have orange mucus coming from my nose?

About 1 week ago, I went to my doctor with unusual coughing and chest pain, I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I must have caught it early on, because it didn't feel too bad. Was prescribed 5-day Z-pack, finished my last dose yesterday. I'm feeling better, but I can tell my lungs are still healing. Today, I felt my nose run, and blew out watery orange mucus. What does this mean? This could be unrelated, but I did notice yesterday, the right, upper section of my teeth felt sore (like with a sinus infection), but I have not had any other sinus-infection like symptoms.
I am sorry to hear that you are in the middle of this unfortunate illness. The good news is that you do seem to be getting appropriate medical care, and I would advise you to continue to follow up with your doctor. Most often, after treating you for pneumonia, your doctor will want to see you again shortly to make sure that the infection has been treated appropriately and that you are doing better. Now, orange mucous can be a sign that you have a sinus infection, although it is only one sign. Often, if you are recovering from one illness and start to have more symptoms of increased nasal drainage, nasal congestion, or other nasal complaints (such as the tooth pain that you are describing), this could be a sign that you have developed a secondary sinus infection. If you have no other symptoms, then you should be able to follow up with your doctor as previously arranged for your pneumonia. Some people will find that a few days of using a nasal saline irrigation, coupled with over the counter nasal sprays such as Afrin, will yield significant benefit. Make sure not to use the nasal spray for more than a few days, however. Please speak with your doctor for more information and full follow up from your pneumonia and new symptoms.

Nearby Ear, Nose & Throat Doctors

• Dr. Alyssa Hackett
    Dr. Alyssa Hackett MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    310 East 14th Street
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Navin Mehta
    Dr. Navin Mehta MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    303 Second Ave
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Madeleine Schaberg
    Dr. Madeleine Schaberg MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    310 East 14th Street
    New York, NY 10003

• Dr. Adrian Varela
    Dr. Adrian Varela MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10330 SE 32nd Ave
    Milwaukie, OR 97222
  • Dr. Haitham Masri
    Dr. Haitham Masri MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    13530 Michigan Ave
    Dearborn, MI 48126
  • Dr. Howard Baim
    Dr. Howard Baim MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2532 N. Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60614