ZocdocAnswersWhy is my face hot and red?

Question

Why is my face hot and red?

I'm 16 (so I'm not going through menopause). I was eating dinner and suddenly my face just got really hot (no sweating). I know it wasn't a food allergy because I've never had any problems with allergies before. I looked in the mirror and my face was red, mostly in the cheeks. It looked like I was blushing. A lot. I got in the shower, but it only helped for a little while. The hotness/redness came back, but with less intensity. I'm on the last few days on my period, so you don't think it could be some form of hot flash, do you? It's still hot as I type this... I'm really worried.

Answer

This is an interesting problem that could be coming from several different things. I am sorry that you are having to feel this way. It is safe to say that if you are still feeling flushed it would be appropriate for you to talk to your doctor. Any other medical history would be important to review with your doctor, but it is more likely a simple reaction to something. While it does not seem typical of a food allergy, some food allergies could present in a similar manner. Even if you have not had one before, it is still a possibility. Other possibilities include reactions of your nervous system, which could be stimulated by different emotions, or even your environment. Medications that you may be taking could also be a possibility. Finally, your hormonal system, whether it be due to your menstrual cycle or other hormones such as your thyroid could have something to do with how you feel. Finally, different infections or other causes could explain what is happening. The best thing to do is to speak with your doctor if you are still feeling this way or have other concerns. Book an appointment as soon as you can.