ZocdocAnswersWhy is my body shaky?

Question

Why is my body shaky?

Hello, Doctor. I'm 19, male. 5'10'', 141 lbs. I have a shaky body, especially my arms/hands. The shaking gets worse when I exercise, am hungry or nervous but it never stops. What is wrong with me? It's been happening for at least 3 years.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have had to suffer from this for some time. There are many different possibilities, but if this is continuing for so long, it is something that you should discuss with your doctor. The fact that it does seem to get worse with the same things over that period of time suggests that this may be something to do with your blood sugar levels. Being hungry, exercising, etc can both obviously be times when you have lower levels of sugar in your blood stream. This can make some people become shaky, among other potential problems that can occur due to low blood sugar. As for shaking when you are nervous, this can obviously happen to many people, although you are implying that you have it more prominently than most people. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to speak with your doctor to make sure that there are no medical issues that are lying below the surface, or other issues that you have that could explain your symptoms. He or she may give you a clean bill of health, but may also be able to provide suggestions to improve your symptoms. Please speak to your doctor. Book an appointment at your earliest convenience.