ZocdocAnswersWhat is the lump on my vagina?

Question

What is the lump on my vagina?

I have a small pimple-like lump about 1cm above my clitoris. It has been there for maybe a couple of months but caused me no trouble until yesterday, when I discovered that it has become red and has a whitehead on it. I think it is a pimple but I am too scared to pop it as I am worried about infection. What is this and how can I get rid of it?

Answer

It does sound like a pimple or, potentially, a slightly deeper form of skin infection, such as a boil. These minor skin infections can occur anywhere on the body, including on the genitals. In fact, they are quite common on the genitals due to the skin moisture and friction from undergarments that are common here. Most of the time, these skin infections will resolve on their own, and can typically be managed with good skin hygiene, warm compresses to draw out the pus, and a topical antibacterial ointment. However, that being said, it is usually worthwhile to have the area examined by your primary care doctor. This is because occasionally, these infections can worsen rapidly or develop a significant collection of pus inside of them. When this occurs, they sometimes need to be lanced and drained to speed healing. Also, sometimes, oral prescription antibiotics are needed to help clear up the more severe cases. Your doctor will be able to take a quick look and help you decide whether or not this is something that requires that level of medical treatment or not, so book an appointment to be seen at your earliest convenience.