Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Had UTI-like symptoms then I began my "period" 10 days early. Please help!"

ZocdocAnswersHad UTI-like symptoms then I began my "period" 10 days early. Please help!


I began having UTI symptoms (frequent and painful urination) for three days. I began drinking pure cranberry juice (no sugar), a lot of water and avoiding sugars. The symptoms seemed to go away but the next day I began bleeding. I don't think it is my period because if it were, it is 10 days early. I don't live with women so sync up isn't a possibility and I do not have an STI or STD. Please help me come up with a course of action as I do not have medical insurance.


I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well, and that this has been going on for at least a few days. The situation is obviously more difficult because of your lack of insurance. Unfortunately, if you are worried about a worsening urinary tract infection, the honest answer is that you need to be seen by a doctor. While cranberry juice has a long history of working to treat UTIs (at least a long history in the folk remedy tradition), the research itself is rather mixed about whether or not it works. While good hydration is key, if your symptoms have seemed to get worse, then you need to be seen. Additionally, if you are a woman and have unexplained vaginal bleeding, that would be another reason to see a doctor. If you haven't had insurance for a while, that might be pointing to a fact that you haven't had a "well woman checkup" for some time. There are quite a few things that could explain all of your symptoms (with some of them being and STI/STD as you imply), and there are other things that can have very serious, lifelong effects. Most cities will have a free clinic if you qualify, or private practice doctors can work with you on a payment plan. While it is unfortunate to have to pay to see a doctor without insurance, it might be the best thing you can do to A) get better fast, and B) make sure that there's not something more serious causing your symptoms. Please see a doctor!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.