ZocdocAnswersIs it okay for a woman to use Rogaine foam for men?

Question

Is it okay for a woman to use Rogaine foam for men?

I have PCOS and use the minoxidil for women but I feel the foam would be easier and more convenient for usage.

Answer

This is an issue that you will have to discuss with your dermatologist, primary care doctor, or whoever is helping you treat your thinning hair. Minoxidil (Rogaine) is approved by the FDA for use in women in the 2% concentration, which is the "Rogaine for Women" lotion that you are probably using. "Rogaine for Men" is available in both lotion and foam form, but at a higher concentration of 5%. This higher concentration, which is the only concentration at which the foam is available, is not officially approved for use in women. That being said, there are many doctors who do prescribe the higher concentration for women, especially if they have failed treatment with the lower concentration. The main danger of doing so is that there is a greater risk of side effects, such as scalp irritation or hair growth elsewhere on the body, with the higher concentration. Your doctor will be able to discuss this issue with you and help you decide whether or not the foam 5% formulation of minoxidil would be appropriate for your situation, when balancing all the various factors, including both the risk of side effects and convenience or ease of application. Book an appointment with your doctor today!