ZocdocAnswersWhat is it in my throat and how do I get rid of it?

Question

What is it in my throat and how do I get rid of it?

I was playing around with my friend and she choked me. Ever since then my throat feels lumpy around my thyroid and other bones near it. So every time I swallow something it gets harder to go down my stomach.

Answer

This sounds uncomfortable! In medical terms, what you are describing seems like two separate but likely associated symptoms: globus sensation ('lumpy' feeling in your throat) as well as dysphagia (disordered swallowing). I recommend visiting your doctor for closer examination. Most likely, given the temporal association with a choking incident, both symptoms are due to trauma to the muscles and soft tissue of your swallowing mechanism. Trauma to the upper esopageal sphincter can cause minor localized swelling (the globus sensation) as well as dysfunctional or disorganized swallowing. If this is the case (ie that the symptoms were caused by trauma) they should get better without intervention. However, if the symptoms persist or worsen, a more in-depth medical evaluation may be necessary to rule out other more concerning causes for globus sensation and dysphagia, including esophageal strictures, gastroesophageal reflux disease, swallowing motility disorders and potentially a tumor. However, these diagnoses are much less likely. Make an appointment to see you primary care physician for further evaluation which may include a swallow study to further visualize the functionality of your swallowing mechanism. And of course, it is important to avoid any further trauma to the area as this could worsen your current symptoms no matter what the underlying cause. Good luck!