ZocdocAnswersNoticed a slight ovarian pressure after sex....am I pregnant?

Question

Noticed a slight ovarian pressure after sex....am I pregnant?

I have been taking birth control for about 3 months now, having started my 3rd pack last week. I take my pill everyday, never missing one, at the same time. 2 days ago I had sex without a condom. There was no ejaculation. I've noticed a slight ovarian pressure, and have spoken to 2 pharmacists who do not believe there is a chance I could be pregnant. Is there? I am very good with taking my pills.

Answer

While it sounds like you are doing an excellent job with taking the birth control pills, no form of hormonal (ie birth control pills) or barrier (ie condoms) is 100% effective at preventing pregnancy. It's a good idea to see your primary care doctor or OB/GYN for a definitive pregnancy test. Even with perfect use, birth control pills are still only 91-98% effective at preventing pregnancy with unprotected sex. While that seems pretty good, it means that on average if you have unprotected sex 10-20 times, even with using the pill perfectly (as it seems you have been) you will become pregnant. Said in another way, there is about a 5-10% chance you will get pregnant if you have unprotected sex on the pill. In addition, the pill does not provide any protection against sexually transmitted infections (such as HIV/ AIDS, chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc.) whereas a condom affords some protection (still not perfect, but certainly much better than nothing) against these infections. A combination of the pill and a condom not only is safer in terms of sexually transmitted infections, but is also more effective at preventing pregnancy. All of that being said, it will be important for you to see a physician in the near future to be tested for sexually transmitted infections as well as a pregnancy test.