ZocdocAnswersCan I still have a growth spurt after puberty which I finished a year ago?

Question

Can I still have a growth spurt after puberty which I finished a year ago?

I'm 13½ and I got my period when I was 12½. I am 5'2,can I grow 3 inches? If I sleep more can I grow a little more? Are there any foods that can help me grow?

Answer

Excellent questions, all of them, and I can tell that you are a bit anxious about being a bit taller than you are currently. The fast answer is that yes, you may still be able to grow some during this period, and yes, there are some simple things you can do to make sure you reach your maximum height. First, however, you need to know that you will most likely be somewhere in between the height of your father and your mother. That means, if your mom is 5 feet tall and your dad is 6 feet tall, you would expect to fall somewhere in the middle. If your parents are both about 5'2", then you may have just about reached your maximum height. If not, then the most important thing that you can do to make sure and reach your maximum height is to make sure and keep yourself healthy. While there are no specific foods that I know of to make you taller, a healthy and well rounded diet with plenty of protein and calcium will be important. Sleep is another part of being healthy, and does help your body with many important functions. If you have specific questions, please speak with your doctor, who may be able to help you project (within some range of error, of course) a possible height that you may peak at. As always, stay healthy and visit your doctor for regular check ups as needed.