Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Why do I have a sudden aversion to meat, an increased sense of smell and nausea?

Hi Doctor. I am a 31 year old female, absolutely not pregnant. About a month ago I developed a sudden aversion to meat, I cannot and have not eaten it in that time and my sense of smell has become seriously heightened - even opening the freezer I can smell a strong smell of meat even though it is frozen. I get waves of nausea also. Can you please shed some light on what might be causing this, it is getting more difficult to make food for my family when the smell makes me gag. Many thanks.
If these symptoms are persisting, then it would definitely be worth getting them checked out by your regular primary care doctor. Many individuals experience a heightened sense of smell at different times, and this can be quite unpleasant, leading to food aversions and other symptoms such as those you are experiencing. I know that you say you are absolutely not pregnant, but I do want to reinforce that this would definitely be one of the most common causes of these symptoms in a young, otherwise healthy female. Therefore, if you are sexually active, then it would be worth at least checking a urine pregnancy test just to take this completely off the table. Other individuals may experience the kinds of symptoms you are having after a bout of gastrointestinal illness, such as food poisoning. This may in part be to the continued healing process in your intestines, but it also may be due to the fact that your brain makes a strong psychological connection between certain foods and the onset of unpleasant symptoms, and this could trigger recurrence of these symptoms when you are around the triggers (such as meat, in your case). Regardless, the first step would be to go see your primary care doctor for a checkup. Book an appointment today!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)