ZocdocAnswersI have Hepatitis C and Degenerative Disc Disease - is it safe to take Oxycodone, Oxycontin, LYRICA and Duexis?

Question

I have Hepatitis C and Degenerative Disc Disease - is it safe to take Oxycodone, Oxycontin, LYRICA and Duexis?

I've had liver biopsy, and from a 1 to 4, my liver is a 1. I have severe back pain.

Answer

From your medication list it sounds like you have several active medical issues. As you know, oxycodone and oxycontin are both opioid narcotic medications used to treat pain. Lyrica is a medication that can be used to treat neuropathic pain, such as that caused by a bulging disc exerting pressure on a nerve root in the back. Duexis is a actually a combination of two different medications, ibuprofen (an anti-inflammatory used to treat pain) and famotidine (a medication that helps protect the lining of the stomach from the irritating effects of the ibuprofen). In order to best assess your health needs and whether or not your medications are the best choice for treating your medical conditions, the best thing for you to do is to meet with your primary care physician and go over your concerns. In very general terms, a patient with hepatitis C and some cirrhosis can take the medications you listed. However, your health history and other lab results may well suggest specific reasons why some of these medications might not be a good choice for you. In addition, the dose of some of your medications might need to be adjusted depending upon your liver function labs. For this reason, it is definitely a good idea for you to meet with your primary care physician right away to go over your symptoms, health history, and medications.