ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have abdomen pain?

Question

Why do I have abdomen pain?

First the pain started in my lower right abdomen I thought it was appendicitis but when I press the mcburneys point there's no pain then the pain goes under my ribs then to my right shoulder. Under my ribs the pains is on and off. Sometimes I have too much gas. I'm not vomiting, I have appetite, I'm not sick, I can run without having these pains but when I'm not doing nothing like sitting they start. They are not that painful they, are just pains what are they. Now I feel on and off body pains. This started last week but when it started the pains were only on my right lower abdomen. When I press I feel something like a pop then I'm ok.

Answer

Since you have been having pains now in your abdomen for a full week, it would be a good idea to be evaluated by a doctor. There are very serious causes of abdominal pain, such as appendicitis, as you have pointed out. The fact that you mostly feel ok, without severe pain, vomiting, pain with running, etc is a very good sign, which makes a serious cause of your pain less likely. However, your primary care doctor will be able to definitively make this determination for you with an interview and a physical examination. In addition, they will be able to investigate other potential causes of your pain. Some of the more common causes of abdominal pain like you what you are describing include excess intestinal gas and bloating, constipation, or irritable bowel syndrome. Occasionally gallstones may also present this way, particularly with the pain under your right shoulder and under your ribs. After examining you, your doctor may want to get some other studies, such as basic blood work or an ultrasound of the abdomen to help them narrow down the potential causes of your pain. Based on what they find, they'll be able to help you decided whether any specific treatment is needed. Book an appointment today.