ZocdocAnswersWhat are these two soft bumps on my thumbs(fingerprint area)?

Question

What are these two soft bumps on my thumbs(fingerprint area)?

I have had them for one year, also I play games a lot on my iPad. The one my left thumb is bigger. What are they?

Answer

The best thing to do is to discuss this with your primary care physician. It is definitely possible that extensive use of a device with a touchpad, such as an iIpad, could lead to some benign soft tissue accumulation (such as a callus) on your fingers. This would be even more likely if you are left-handed and thus likely to use your left thumb more than the right. However, it is also possible that these bumps you describe have nothing to do with your Ipad use. Plantar's warts on the hands and feet can present as soft bumps that don't go away on their own. Benign growths such as lymphomas or even a cyst can also present as persistent bumps. In this case, the best thing to do is make an appointment to see your primary care physician for a more thorough evaluation. It is quite likely that a physician can identify these bumps simply by looking at them, but it will be important to go over your health history as well, just to make sure that there haven't been any additional changes in your health that could suggest these bumps are part of something more systemic. Depending upon the results of your exam, it may also be possible to have these bumps removed, if they are bothering you significantly.