ZocdocAnswersWhat is the dime sized, burning bump in my underarm??

Question

What is the dime sized, burning bump in my underarm??

Dime sized, burns, leaks pus, burning has spread to arm

Answer

While I'm not exactly sure what it is that you are describing (it would be important to look at it to know for sure), I can tell you that it is important to have this be seen by a doctor. Any wound that has been present for some time and is leaking pus is important to have evaluated. As you well know, there are many bacteria present that can be resistant to common antibiotics, and the best way to treat and avoid these is to fix any problems like what you are describing before they become worse. It is possible, from the description you provide, that you have had a small skin infection that has developed into an abscess. While this is something that can be readily treated in the early stages, it can go on to become something quite serious if it is not monitored and managed appropriately. Early antibiotics, and perhaps drainage, can make a world of difference down the line. Of course there are other things that can cause similar symptoms as well, and your doctor would be able to help determine if anything more complicated is happening. Please speak with your doctor about this bump.