ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do if I keep having stye in my eye?

Question

What should I do if I keep having stye in my eye?

I keep having stye once every few months. Is this caused by lack of certain types of nutrition?

Answer

As you well know, a stye can be very bothersome as it is not only painful, but also cosmetically problematic. In general, a stye is not caused by any kind of nutritional deficiency. Instead, a stye results from an infection in one of the sebaceous glands at the base of the eyelashes. If you are having recurrent styes, it is possible that your skin may be colonized with a type of bacteria that is causing a troublesome infection. It is also possible that the stye you have is not fully resolving and is instead flaring up over and over. If you have not yet seen an ophthalmologist, this would be the best place to start. An ophthalmologist specializes in the care of the eye, and he or she can do a thorough eye exam to identify if you have any specific anatomic issues with your eyelashes or eyelids that might predispose you to developing these kinds of infections. An ophthalmologist may also be able to suggest some precautionary measures that you can take to prevent these kinds of infections from developing. Hopefully this can help address the reasons why you keep developing a recurrent stye and prevent this from continuing to occur!