ZocdocAnswersDid natural progesterone cream mess up my cycle?

Question

Did natural progesterone cream mess up my cycle?

I have had bad PMS for a long time so I tried natural progesterone cream (Emerita Pro-gest brand). I started it on day 16 of my cycle and used 1/4 teaspoon twice a day until day 27 (my cycle is always 28 days long). Now it's been 6 days since I stopped the cream and I haven't gotten my period yet. I've never been more than a day late for my period and I've never missed a period in my life. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. I'm feeling very tired and depressed/emotional. What could be going on and what should I do?

Answer

Overall there are many different reasons why you might not have had your period yet or be experiencing some mood changes. If you are sexually active, pregnancy is always a possibility, and a home pregnancy test is not definitive as there is a short window in which a urine pregnancy test will be negative even when a woman is in fact pregnant. In addition, taking hormones of any kind, whether natural or synthetic, has the potential to affect a woman's reproductive cycle or overall health. In this situation, the best thing for you to do is see your primary care physician to discuss your concerns. In particular, he or she might be able to suggest some more effective methods of treating or managing your PMS symptoms in a way that is safe for the rest of your health. Taking estrogen or progesterone that is not prescribed or monitored by a physician can have some adverse effects on your health and you want to be sure to discuss any of these medications or supplements with a physician. Depending upon your age and other health issues, your primary care physician may also refer you to a gynecologist to discuss further. Finally, if pregnancy is a concern for you, you can also have a blood test with your physician to be completely sure.