Can implantation bleeding last as long as a period?

I had unprotected sex about 2 1/2 weeks ago then the beginning of this week i started my (irregular)period, but it was just spotting, usually i have a heavy over flowing period, and this spotting is just weird for me. What could it be?
If you had unprotected sex within the last several weeks, it is possible that you are pregnant and you should see your physician or gynecologist. As you know, in general your period will not change drastically from month to month without other underlying changes in your health. If your period now is different than what it normally is and you are otherwise feeling well and have not had any significant changes in your life, then it is possible that the spotting you are experiencing is related to embryo implantation early during a pregnancy. The best way to determine whether you are or are not pregnant and to make sure that you are not putting your health at risk from unprotected sexual contact is to make an appointment to see your physician or gynecologist for a pregnancy test and exam. Your doctor can do a blood test which will identify the hCG hormone produced during pregnancy. This blood test is more accurate than the home urine tests one can buy over the counter. In addition, your doctor can also test you for chlamydia, gonorrhea, and other sexually transmitted infections. Some STDs can cause significant harm over time if left untreated, and a woman may not always have symptoms of infection. Take care, and best of luck.