ZocdocAnswersDid I have a growth spurt yet?

Question

Did I have a growth spurt yet?

Hello, I am 16 years old and I am 5'4", my dad is 5'7" and my mom is 5'0". Did I have a growth spurt yet? How tall do you think I can be? I don't even have facial hair, its just a peach fuzz and I barely got armpit hair. When I went to the doctors at age 15 they told me I would stop growing at 5'4", well I guess that doesn't make any sense because I am 16 years old and I'm 5'4" right now, because don't I still have many years before I stop growing or did I stop growing at age 16?

Answer

It sounds like you have many questions about the physical changes of puberty. Your pediatrician is always an excellent and confidential resource for you to discuss questions or concerns about your health. You are correct that your final adult height is often related to the height of your parents. In order to tell whether you are still growing or whether you have completed puberty, a physician will need to examine you to determine your state of physical development. If you have not developed fully adult male body hair patterns, then it is likely that you are not yet done growing. It can also sometimes be very helpful to plot your height on a growth curve because in many cases a child's adult height can be predicted based on the patterns of his or her growth as a child. This may be part of the reason that a physician told you last year that your estimated adult height is 5'4". However, the best way to determine whether or not you have completed puberty or whether you are still growing is to be examined by a physician this year. If you have any further questions about this process, you can discuss them with your pediatrician. Good luck!