ZocdocAnswersI have a headache and tingling feelings on right calf, foot, fingertips, and lower arm. Why?

Question

I have a headache and tingling feelings on right calf, foot, fingertips, and lower arm. Why?

I'm also feeling sick

Answer

If these are new symptoms for you then you should definitely seek medical attention right away. A new and severe headache accompanied by sensory changes can sometimes indicate that part of your brain is not getting enough oxygen. This can be related to a transient ischemic attack (or TIA), a stroke, or even bleeding from one of the blood vessels in the brain. There are many other less worrisome causes of sensory deficits and a headache, including some kinds of migraine headaches, but without a thorough history, evaluation of your past medical history and medications, and an exam including a complete neurological exam, it is impossible to determine exactly what might be causing your symptoms. Depending upon the results of your physical exam and history your physician may want to do additional laboratory testing, imaging of your brain, or possibly even a procedure such as a lumbar puncture. If you have a primary care physician, you should speak with his or her office right away about scheduling an urgent care visit. If you have not had regular follow-up care with a physician then you may have to go to the emergency department for an initial evaluation and then establish care with a new primary care physician following this appointment.