ZocdocAnswersBlack out and dizziness when standing or sitting. Low blood pressure?

Question

Black out and dizziness when standing or sitting. Low blood pressure?

Background Information: I was diagnosed with hypotension right before I got pregnant back in 2008 and that diagnosis continued to be given with me up until about a year and a half ago when my blood pressure finally regulated itself. (67/98 normal) I no longer have an at home blood pressure machine to check my blood pressure, nor do I know what I can do to fix this issue if it is blood pressure dropping again. Symptoms: vision black outs, shakes at first waking, hard to wake up, severe dizziness standing up or sitting up no matter how fast or slow I do, severe tiredness, migraine and nausea. These are all the same symptoms I had back when I was diagnosed with the exception of the migraine. How can I solve this? I don't really have the funds for a doctor to look at me right now. I have tried increasing my electrolytes, drinking tons of water, resting, etc. NOTHING is helping unlike last time

Answer

Based on your symptoms and complaints, you should see a doctor, perhaps the same doctor who had treated you previously and can determine if these symptoms are similar to what you had before or if they are new or concerning. Given that it has been a few years and these symptoms are at least partly new (the migraines and the fact that your conservative methods of treating this don't seem to help), I would not feel comfortable recommending any treatment over the Internet without having met you first. While it can be difficult without money to see a doctor, there are times when it might be worth doing, and this appears to be one of those times. Most hospitals and doctors will have a way for those without funds to see a physician, and many cities will have a free clinic with volunteers that can help. From what you have said, it sounds like you have already tried some of the simple remedies for low blood pressure, such as increasing electrolytes and fluid consumption. If these have not worked, blood sugar could be another likely cause. Please speak with a doctor, and work with them to find a way to get the care you need.