Is orange mucus bad?

My the details are a bit complicated and I cannot post them all (it says its too long) but I can try replying to an answer to post them, I am coughing up rusty brownish mucus and when I blow my nose the mucus is bright orange and rubbery (meaning completely solid, but still moist, it comes out in chunks and I have to blow for ten minutes straight to get it to loosen enough to come out) what could this be possibly?
I am sorry that you have to put up with such miserable symptoms, and hope that you feel better soon. The best thing to do is to speak to your doctor. While there is some literature that suggests that the color of mucous doesn't really matter, it is certainly true that colored mucous (more than just the thin runny nose that we all occasionally get) can be a sign of a bacterial or fungal infection. Obviously, that doesn't help us to know what bug is causing the infection, but it can help us to know that we should be looking for something. While the color may not help too much, the tenacity of the mucous (the rubber texture you describe) could indicate that the infection has at least some element of a fungal component. For some reason, the mucous of a fungal sinusitis does tend to be very rubbery as you describe. While there are many over the counter treatments that can help (such as nasal saline irrigation), it is likely that you should speak with your doctor so that he or she can scope your sinuses and possibly get some additional imaging or even start some treatment. Again, please speak with your doctor.

• Dr. Robert Domaleski
    Dr. Robert Domaleski MD
    8200 E. Belleview Avenue
    Greenwood Village, CO 80111
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217