ZocdocAnswersI am iron, vitamin B and vitamin D deficient. Why?

Question

I am iron, vitamin B and vitamin D deficient. Why?

My ferritin level is 2L, transferrin saturation is 5 L, Iron total is 22L, my vitamin b is 250. This was the same as a year ago. My vitimin D levels were fine. Now my vitamin d total dropped to a 4L. What are the causes of this? malabsorption?

Answer

It sounds like you have many different things that could be happening to cause you to be so deficient in so many of your vitamins and minerals. Before I say anything else, I should point out that this is something that should be discussed with your primary care doctor, someone who can follow up with you over a long period of time to make sure that these levels improve and that you remain healthy while they do. Now, many things can make a person deficient. One of the most obvious ones is decreased intake. Vitamin D is added to many of the dairy products that we use, as it is a fat-soluble vitamin that we would otherwise not get enough of in many cases. But there is something extra about vitamin d, which is the fact that our bodies can make it to a certain extent. Using sunlight, our skin can convert different molecules in our body to become the vitamin d that we need to help us with calcium regulation and many other functions. Due to the fact that your levels are so far off, I would recommend speaking with your doctor to make sure you get back on track.