ZocdocAnswersWhat are some recommendations for severe period cramps?

Question

What are some recommendations for severe period cramps?

I have tried all the medicines ibuprofen and midol and nothing seems to work, heat even makes it worse

Answer

I am sorry that you have had to suffer from severe period cramps. These can be absolutely miserable and can cause intense pain and can be very disruptive. If you have not had success with the simple remedies such as ibuprofen and other over the counter medications, it is time to speak with your doctor. Many times, he or she will be able to listen to your story and understand more fully what it is that is causing you the pain. There may be an underlying problem that needs to be addressed to help with your pain. He or she may also be able to prescribe medications that can help to either decrease the intensity of the cramps or at least shorten the amount of time that you are suffering from them. Please speak to your doctor. There are other conditions that can also cause intense suffering and be associated with period cramps. Your doctor may recommend that you undergo additional testing to determine if you have any of these conditions. By working together, you and your doctor will be best able to help you get through this pain and back to enjoying regular life. Again, please speak to your primary care doctor or an OB/GYN soon.