ZocdocAnswersIs there a shampoo that works to reduce dht on your scalp?

Question

Is there a shampoo that works to reduce dht on your scalp?

I'm a woman who has hair loss due to PCOS and I am trying to regrow my hair

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from this problem. As you know, the excess androgens that can accompany polycystic ovarian syndrome can cause hair loss in women in much the same way that these androgens can cause hair loss in men (androgens is the name used to describe masculinizing hormones). There are hair products available, such as minoxidil, that can help to decrease the loss of hair and that you should discuss with your doctor. Most of these require use for an indefinite period of time, but they can be quite effective not just at slowing the loss of hair, but even at stimulating new growth. Previous posters have asked similar questions, which are available on ZocDoc in the questions answered section. As these point out, it is important to speak with your doctor about your condition to make sure that it truly is PCOS that is the cause of your hair loss. There are other conditions that can cause similar symptoms. Additionally, PCOS is a condition that requires appropriate medical follow up. The physician that is managing your PCOS is likely familiar with available products that might be able to help you. Please speak with your doctor about your concerns, and best of luck.