ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to experience vertigo everyday?

Question

Is it normal to experience vertigo everyday?

A few years ago i blew my nose, and my ear popped violently. seconds later, the room seemed to turn upside down on me. ever since then i havent been able to shake this dizzy feeling. my ears pop all the time, and sometimes the ringing in my ears gets so loud !!! at random times throughout the day im taken back by this very odd sensation like everything just moved out of nowhere. its hard to explain. sometimes i feel like im hallucinating cuz it looks like the ground is moving, or feels like im falling. i also feel like my depth perception is off ? i dont know if thats even relevant. but this constant feeling of lightheadedness and dizziness is really concerning and i dont know where to start. btw i was 18 when my ear first popped, im 23 now. ive been dealing with this forever, im starting to forget what "normal" feels like :(

Answer

This is quite a frustrating problem, and I am sorry that you have had to live with it for so long. Fortunately, there should be something that can be done to help with your symptoms. Based on your description, it sounds as if there may be something that is wrong with your ear. The tinnitus (what you call a ringing in your ear) associated with dizziness is a cause for alarm that something in your inner ear may be amiss. What many people don't realize is that one of the balance organs that your brain relies on is housed in your inner ear. There are a series of 3 canals that your brain utilizes, with gravity and motion, to sense where you are in space and help you to stay upright. This inner ear is what is often affected by people who spend some time on boats and become sea sick. If you feel that you are having problems, as you seem to, speaking with an ear-nose and throat surgeon (an otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon) may be a good place to begin. He or she is used to this sort of question. Please speak to your doctor.